When in the search of trying to find the best whitening facial cream you will be over whelmed with how much info there is. How many different brands, what ingredients there made from, which are good for us and which not. Some whiteners or lighteners also there knowing as have some pretty bad stuff in them so we will give you a heads up on some of those nasties as well.
Skin Whitening Creams:
Skin whitening creams are creams that have been made with certain specific ingredients that aid in reducing the pigmentation of the skin. This is to achieve a more even skin tone and lighten the overall skin tone of the individual.
How do these creams work?
Our skin is made up of two layers. The outer layer is the epidermis while the inner layer is called the dermis.
In the epidermis there are special pigment producing cells called Melanocytes, which are responsible for the production of melanin pigment. Melanin is then transferred to keratinocytes- providing color to the skin. The process of formation of melanin is known as Melanogenesis.
Melanogenesis is induced by UV exposure of the skin and is a protective mechanism. Melanocytes produce more melanin in darker individuals and it is broken down slowly, which is why the differences in individual skin color are seen.
Whitening skin creams contain ingredients which function in one of 2 ways:
1. By inhibiting Tyrosinase: Tyrosinase is crucial for melanin production.
2. By blocking the transfer of melanin to keratinocytes.
Common “Whitening” Ingredient seen in commercially available Skin Whitening Creams:
1. Hydroquinone: This is the most common ingredient seen in skin whitening creams. It inhibits tyrosinase enzyme, thus preventing melanin production.
2. Arbutin: This also inhibits melanin production by blocking tyrosinase.
3. Kojic Acid: This is an Antibiotic skin whitening agent which also acts by blocking tyrosinase.
4. Ascorbic Acid and its derivatives: Ascorbic acid helps to change the color of jet black melanin to light tan color
5. Tetra-peptide: This acts by preventing the UV-B (Ultraviolet B) induced skin pigmentation.
How to Select the right Skin Whitening Cream?
- Check the Composition of the cream:
- Do not buy the whitening cream if it has one of the following ingredients:
- Hydroquinone: This is carcinogenic.
- Artificial Colors
Buy the cream suited for your Skin type
There are generally 3 types of skin:
1. Dry Skin: Look for creams that contain moisturizers- these will keep your skin hydrated and prevent dulling.
2. Normal Skin/ Combination Skin
3. Oily Skin: Look for creams that are water based and not oil based. Oil-based creams can cause your skin to break out and lead to pimples, blackheads etc.
Women resort to skin lightening products for all sorts of reasons, but it is always important to choose a product which is safe for your skin and works well for your skin type. Although, it is important to keep in mind that the best way to achieve a natural glow is by maintaining a healthy lifestyle- eating right, getting good sleep, working out and drinking lots of water. If you want get your hands on what we reckon is the best whitening facial cream then you need to get Skin Whitening Serum By Pure Body Naturals.